Our Client Services team can help you with importing patron contact and demographic information that was collected outside of the system.
You can download our patron import file here Patron Import Template.
You can download our individual donation import file here Donation Import Template.
If you are importing patron data as well as donation history, keep in mind that we import the patron data first. Each template has a few rows already loaded in: the column headers, a description row, and example data. You are welcome to delete the description and the examples. Please note that we will only accept data that has been been loaded into one of our templates. Raw data cannot be loaded into Ovationtix and will not be accepted.
(1) OvationTix uses email address as a unique identifier. This means that one patron/institution and one patron/institution only can be assigned a particular email as their primary email address in your account. If you have two patrons that make use of the same email address, we recommend [A] choosing one patron to retain the original email and [B] copying the email into the "EMAIL_ALT_1", or email alternate 1, slot for the second patron. OvationTix will not be able to communicate with this patron using any of the alternate emails listed on their record, but this way the data is retained.
This also means that if this email address is already in use by a patron in your patron database, that patron's basic information will be updated with the information that you have included in the template form.
(2) Do these patrons have an ID number that identifies your patrons in another database that you would like to retain? You can place this number into the "CUSTOMLOGIN" column. OvationTix also uses the custom login as a unique identifier. This means that one patron/institution and one patron/institution only can be assigned a particular custom login ID. If you have two patrons that make use of the same email address, you will have to choose who retains the number - we will not be able to import the records unless you do.
This also means that if this custom login is already in use by a patron in your patron database, that patron's basic information will be updated with the information that you have included in the template form.
(3) If you will be sending us both a patron template and a donation template, you must make sure that the ID numbers you provide on the donation template either match with the OvationTix Patron ID on the patron's record (for existing patrons) or the CUSTOM LOGIN ID that you provided in the patron's row on the patron import template (for new patrons). If you don't already have custom logins listed for these new patrons, you will have to create numbers for them so that we can properly identify who made each individual donation. THIS ID IS REQUIRED. It is also helpful to provide us with a first and last name and if possible, an email, as back up identifying information.
(4) All donations must be imported with a designated custom payment type. If you do not provide one, we will create one called "LEGACY". If you do provide one, we will add the legacy prefix, for example "Cash" will be imported as "Legacy Cash", check as "Legacy Check", etc.
(5) All donations must correspond with a donation campaign. This can be either a fundraising campaign that already exists in your account or not - if not, we'll create it. Keep in mind that these campaign names should remain specific but generic, referring to individual fundraisers or fiscal years or categories of giving that you normally use in your organization. If you feel yourself getting too specific and descriptive, it may be best to add that additional descriptive information to the "notes" field for that particular donation.
(6) Would you like to apply labels to your patron to help identify them down the road? You can insert tags, or patron categories, in the "CATEGORIES" column. All categories must be placed in the same cell, and must be separated by semicolons. So, if Karen Cook is a board member with a subscription who often volunteers and performs, you could type into the categories column: "board member; donor; volunteer; performer"
(7) Any additional data that does not correspond to an existing column in either template must be provided in the "NOTES" column. Any extra columns will not be imported into the system, and that data will be lost.
(8) If you have not yet deleted the sample data, you will need to do so before you return the spreadsheet to us.
(9) The average turnaround time for a patron or donation import is two weeks from receipt of acceptable data. Please note that this is an estimate and not a guarantee. We will contact you to let you know when we have received your data, whether or not we have any questions, and when the import is complete.
You'll want to keep Client Services in the loop if you're prepping an import of any kind. Give us a call at 646-759-1700 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're getting ready to put one of these import files together and have any questions.